Imo Communal Clash Leaves 2 Dead

Must Read

FG Reacts To Pastor Oyakhilome’s Comment On Lockdown, 5G Network

The Federal Government has reacted to a comment made by founder of Christ Embassy, Pastor Chris Oyakhilome that the...

Nigeria On Course To Stop Coronavirus Pandemic: FG

The Federal Government has expressed that Nigeria remains on the right path to conquer the Coronavirus pandemic in the...

Only Buhari Can Determine Extension Of Lockdown In Lagos, Ogun, FCT – FG

The Federal Government says only President Muhammadu Buhari can decide whether or not, the lockdown of Lagos, Ogun and...

COVID-19: Buhari Sends Solidarity Message To UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson

President Muhammadu Buhari has sent his message of solidarity to UK's prime minister, Boris Johnson who was rushed into...

Covid-19: Ekiti Begins Distribution Of Palliatives (Photos)

Following the lockdown imposed on the nation as a result of the novel coronavirus, Ekiti state government has begun...

communal-clash-cartoon_358180653-300x242

Two persons were reported dead, while property estimated at about N1.5 billion has either been damaged or completely burnt, in an intra-communal strive that has engulfed Umueke Ebeowerre autonomous community, Ehime Mbano local council area of Imo State.

The crisis started last Monday, following what some people called “the factionalisation of the natives.

Houses, cars, motorcycles, documents and historical monuments have reportedly been burnt, while scores of people were injured.

Similarly, scores of families have been rendered homeless, while others have fled to neighbouring villages.

A villager, who simply gave his name as Chijioke for security reasons, lamented that the intra-communal battle has left many people seriously injured.

He said: “About two persons have been reported dead, including one Chinedu. Also, so many building have been burnt to ashes.

“The same is true of cars, motorcycles and other valuables. Countless people have been seriously injured and others homeless.”

Another villager, who spoke on grounds of anonymity, linked the incident to what he termed “the excesses of the traditional ruler.”

He alleged that the royal father had been denying a section of the community their traditional rights by employing a divide-and-rule administration style.

Meanwhile, the state Police Command has sent a detachment of policemen to the troubled community to keep the peace, while investigation into the matter is ongoing.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -