Once the romantic, intense “in love” feelings subside, you have a choice to engage in a more mature love that can be even deeper and more meaningful. Mature love offers couples a true life partner. It doesn’t have to be boring or stale. Instead, it’s what you make of it because it’s based more on how you behave, rather than simply how you feel.
1. People who experience mature love don’t allow themselves to passively fall out of love. Instead, they take action.
2. Choosing to take your relationship to the next level doesn’t come easy. It requires you to behave in a way that is contrary to your feelings at times. It takes hard work, dedication and commitment.
3. Without the intense “in love” feelings, it’s not as easy to behave lovingly. However, mature love means that you’ll give to your spouse when you don’t feel like giving.
4. It means you can set your feelings aside to do what is best for the relationship.
5.People who experience mature love hug and kiss their partner regardless of whether or not it gives them butterflies in their stomach.
6. They set aside time for the spouse even when they’ve got a hundred and one other things they could be doing.
7. They are willing to set aside money to go on dates and to do the things they used to do when they were first falling in love, regardless of whether or not they feel like it.
8. They make a conscious decision every day to behave lovingly toward their spouse.
9. And they don’t keep score about who contributes the most to the relationship.
10. Instead, they give willingly without becoming resentful about what they are or aren’t getting back.
11. People who experience mature love don’t indulge themselves in thoughts that aren’t productive to the relationship.
12. They don’t focus on thinking about how difficult the marriage is, how their spouse isn’t the same person they married or how much better life would be if they were with someone else.
13. Instead, in mature love, people can think about the positive aspects of their relationship.
14. They focus on looking at what they can do to make their spouse’s day a little better.
15. They think about what they can contribute to the relationship.
16. They also stay focused on making the best of what they have.
17. They understand that this is the person they’ve chosen in life and that the relationship will be what they make of it.
18. They understand that grass isn’t greener on the other side and it is less about who you marry and more about how you love the person that you’re married to