The International Committee of the Red Cross has said that six of its aid workers and a member of the Syrian Red Crescent had been kidnapped by gunmen in Syria.
“Six ICRC staff members and one member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent have been abducted in Idlib in northwestern Syria,” ICRC spokesman Ewan Watson told AFP at the organisation’s Geneva base on Sunday.
“We don’t know who took them. It was unidentified armed men,” he added.
Magne Barth, head of the ICRC’s delegation in Syria has called for the immediate release of the members in a statement released Sunday.
“Both the ICRC and the SARC work tirelessly to provide impartial humanitarian assistance for those most in need across Syria on both sides of the front lines, and incidents such as these potentially undermine our capacity to assist those who need us most,” she said.
The team had travelled to Idlib on October 10 to assess the medical situation in the area and deliver supplies to Sarmin and Idlib city. The convoy, on its way to Damascus was clearly marked with the ICRC emblem.