American University of Nigeria (AUN) is the first private, American Style university in Nigeria. AUN opened its doors to its first class of students in the Fall 2005 semester. AUN has, within the past five years of its establishment, emerged as the country’s most preferred university.
Title: Facilities Electrical Engineer
Department: Facilities Management
Reports to: Director of Facilities
Oversees whom: N/A
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The AUN Electrical Engineer will be the lead Professional responsible for the supply of power to the University and its affiliate facilities. The Engineer will lead discussion, perform planning for power needs and distribution, oversee and/or execute designs, develop projects, and directly supervise execution, quality and standards, maintenance, trouble shooting, and repairs of electrical network.
DETAILED LISTING OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversee, manage, maintain 11kv and 33 kv lines along with transformers and central power distribution facility (generators, switching station, transformers, synch panel, busbar, etc).
• Confer with engineers, customers, and others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects and products.
• Design, implement, maintain, and improve electrical equipment, facilities, components, products and systems for commercial, industrial, and domestic purpose for AUN and affiliates.
• Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software.
• Direct and coordinate manufacturing construction, installation, maintenance, support, documentation, and testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes and customer requirements. Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, and installation standards and specifications.
• Inspect completed installations and observe operations, to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational and safety standard.
• Prepare specifications for purchase of materials and equipment.
• Supervise and train project team members as necessary.
• Investigate and test vendors and competitor’s products.
• Oversee project production efforts to assure projects are completed satisfactorily on time and within budget.
• Prepare and study technical drawings, specifications of electrical systems and topographical maps to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
• Plan layout of electric power generating plants and distribution lines and stations.
• Assist in developing capital project programs for new equipment and major repairs.
• Develop budgets, estimate labor, material, and construction costs.
• Compile data and write reports regarding existing and potential engineering studies and projects
• Conduct field surveys and study maps, graphs, diagrams, and other data to identify and correct power system problems.
ship with other colleagues and clients.
Desired Skills and Experience
• Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge – Keeping up-to date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
• Documenting/Recording Information – Entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
• Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates – Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Communicating with Persons outside Organization – Communicating with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
• Trouble shooting – Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
• Reading Comprehension – Understand written sentence and paragraphs in work related documents.
• Complex Problem Solving – Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Equipment Selection – Determining the kind of tools and equipment need to do a job.
• Speaking – Talking to others to convey information effectively.
• Mathematics – Using mathematics to solve problems.
• Writing – Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
• Science – Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
• Oral Expression – The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
• Written Expression – The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so other will understand.
• Engineering and Technology – Knowing of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
• Computers and Electronics – Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including application and programming.
• Telecommunication – Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
Requirements for the position:
• A Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering or a similar field from a recognized and reputable tertiary institution.
• Engineering registration / certification.
• Knowledge of applicable university policies and procedures.
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
• Expert level competence with MS Office package and other relevant applications.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
• Ability to develop a work schedule, set goals, creates / implements actions plans and monitor progress towards goals.
• Attention to detail
• Capacity to develop positive Interpersonal relation