For a long time, women have fought — and are still fighting — to overcome gender roles and expectations. However, it’s important to remember that rigid ideas about what men and women “should” or “shouldn’t” do isn’t just bad for women.
Here are 11 things men wish they could do just like girls:
1. Have more stylish clothing options.
2. Be able to talk about other men being attractive.
3. Order “girly drinks.”
4. Get treated to a spa day. We can all agree that there are few places more relaxing than a spa. So why is it only socially acceptable for women to attend these heaven-on-earth establishments?
5. Carry a purse.
6. Dance like no one’s watching. Sadly, rigid gender roles even follow men to the dance floor.
7. Wear makeup. Although the politics of beauty culture are quite complicated, and no one should feel compelled to wear makeup all the time, it can be a really fun way to express oneself. Unfortunately, men rarely have the option of wearing makeup without judgment.
8. Get pampered by women. Chivalry and tradition teach young men they should buy meals and movie tickets, but many responded that they would like to be wined and dined once in awhile.
9. Wear yoga pants.
10. Have fun with one’s children without being judged.
11. Be able to show emotion without being labeled as gay or a “p*ssy.” Whether it was crying over a sad movie or simply relating to a guy friend, an overwhelming amount of respondents felt they couldn’t be openly emotional or sensitive without some sort of backlash.