Chanel Tapper, a student from California, USA, has the world’s longest tongue, measuring 9.75 cm (3.8 in), from tip to top lip.
Her lizard-like tongue is twice as long as the average, as long as the world’s largest cockroach, as wide as your palm, the same volume as a quarter pounder hamburger and around the same length as an iPhone!!
Here what she told Guinness World Records about her record-breaking body part in an interview.
- When did you first realise that your tongue was longer than average? What happened?
I was eight and my mom and I were taking pictures for Halloween.
In one of the pictures we stuck our tongues out. I noticed I had a long tongue when the pictures from Halloween were printed and I saw it…but I guess it became apparent in middle school when people started commenting on it. Why I stuck my tongue out at people, I don’t know… I’m goofy! But there are still some people from back then that only remember me because of my tongue!
- What reaction do you get from people when they see it?
For most people it’s a jaw-dropping experience. It’s like they don’t believe what they see and nie out of ten times, they’ll ask me to do it again.
Some girls/women have screamed/jumped back. If there are other people around, the person who saw my tongue will tell the nearest next to them.
I’ll often get asked questions like, “can you touch your nose or elbow?” and, “do you choke people when you kiss them?”
But always, everyone in one way or another is entertained by seeing it.
- Despite the excitement of having achieved a Guinness World Record, if you had the choice would you keep your long tongue or choose to have a ‘normal’ one?
This is my normal tongue. I was born like this, so no choice would be necessary.
- Are there any explanations for your long tongue such as other members of your family having the same trait or was it just by chance?
My mom has a long tongue, but not like my length. I believe I was born without something underneath that prevents it from extending far.
- Does it affect your relationships in any way? Do you currently have a boyfriend and if so, what does he think?
It does. Most guys that know or already see it automatically have their mind in the gutter, and so do some females. I don’t have a boyfriend, but the last guy I dated didn’t make it that big of a deal, and I really liked him for that.