Bridge has done what many people thought was impossible. We’ve standardized and delivered high-quality education to thousands of pupils in Kenya for just $6 a month. We’re now ready to take our approach global. The Expansion Director will be the first to make this happen, and with that prove that a family’s income does not determine what a child’s future can hold.
This is an incredibly exciting position, not for the faint at heart, but FOR ANYONE WHO HATES BEING BORED. There will be many intense hours with overloaded priorities, conflicting ideologies, and, undoubtedly, unexpected setbacks. Luckily, there will be just as many rewards both personally and professionally. Bridge’s model is simple in its concept – hire experts to build best-in-class systems, use technology to deliver them, and data to track and improve upon them – but very laborious in its implementation. As the Expansion Director, you will be the first one on the ground. You will do the work that is normally done by a dozen teams as you uncover how our approach, and all of the systems involved, translate into a new country. You will scout slums to purchase our first plots, recruit local crews to build our first academies, liaise with local leaders regarding regulatory conditions and curriculum requirements, develop the finance and telecom infrastructure, hire the first employees, and more. This will be exhilarating but demanding. You’ll be working on one of the biggest problems of developing economies and poverty alleviation, where trillions of dollars have had little effect, and thousands of initiatives have failed to change the systematic failure to provide children living in poverty with high-quality education.
Who should apply
- Detailed doers – You have a track record of getting things done, with at least 5 years of post-undergraduate experience. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- Networking masterminds – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network in Nigeria from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- Creative problem-solvers – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- Customer advocates – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- Life-long learners – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
Who shouldn’t apply
- 9-to-5ers – If you like the comforts of an office job – be it short and consistent hours, free ramen noodles, or rolly chairs with back support, you won’t like it here. Hours are long, there are no freebies (we’re not going to have our customers’ hard-earned money pay for your snacks!), and you’re going to spend most of your time in the field.
- Narcissists – If you’ve ever finished the statement, “I didn’t go to university to ______,” you won’t like it here. We’re all equal at Bridge. Your degree, age, lineage, and past experience don’t matter. Only your current output, and how it benefits our customers, does.
- Hand-holders – We love teamwork, but sometimes we get busy. You need to work well independently and have the self-motivation to never slow down. Of course, you’ll be very responsive and constantly update us on your status.
Skills and Experience
There is no pre-determined previous work experience for this role. Above all else, we’re looking for ambition, organization, drive, intellect, problem solving, and respect for others. In order to prepare for expansion, you will spend your first few months in Nairobi working hands-on with the executive team and Kenyan operations. You will report to the Chief Development Officer.