With capability in 140 languages, Appen works with leading technology companies to expand into new global markets. Our comprehensive expertise in search, language, and social technology, combined with an agile crowd-sourcing model, power companies to offer relevant and localized product experiences. Our solutions help companies transform the endless amount of data pouring in across the web from around the world, into tools that create and increase engagement for their customers.
Appen is looking for a Hausa Linguist for an immediate project. The work will involve assisting in the creation of the Lexicon component of a Speech Database (SDB) in Hausa, as spoken in Nigeria.
The work will also involve creating documents to describe the language for the purpose of language technology development and assisting with resolution of any spelling standardisation or dialectal variation issues in the language. The majority of the linguist’s time will be spent checking and correcting transcriptions of words in phonetic script. Training in Appen processes will be provided.
- Location: Remote, Global
- Hours: Availability of minimum 20 hours per week
- Length: Start Immediately, and ongoing for the next 4 weeks.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have, or be currently taking, a university degree in Linguistics.
- Must have a background in linguistics and a familiarity with the language, at the level of a fluent native speaker. The candidate should be a linguist or have completed part of their linguistics training.
- Specific linguistic background should be geared towards phonetics and phonology, and as such the candidate should be familiar with the IPA and possibly other phonetic scripts like X-SAMPA.
- Must be able to co-ordinate over Skype or similar for training.
- Good typing and computer skills essential
- Must pass the AppenOnline Hausa spelling/qualification test
- Must be able to understand and follow detailed instructions written in English.
- Good time management skills