In January 2013, government of Delta State spent the Excess Crude allocation – a total of almost nine and a half billion naira, N9,433,445,759.13 – in less than three days in a totally “frivolous” and “scandalous” manner. The Anti-Corruption Network have expressed alarm over the “unparalleled” corrupution and greed for money of the lawmakers.
In less than a week, Delta State Government spent a total of N9,424,933,907.72, leaving a balance of only N8,511,851.41.
The ACN focused on Delta State as part of their efforts to “beam their searchlight” on various states of Nigeria. According to the official statement issued on March 25 by Executive Secretary Dino Melaye, the money was spent in such a manner which raises some questions, such as:
- Why N279,020,000 was spent on gifts alone?
- Had November street maintenance, October overhead, several GHP overheads, construction of Trans-Warri-Ode-Itsekiri Bridge and Access road not been already included in the 2012 budget?
- Why the paragraph Award to Members of Delta State Contingent, Eko 2012 Games, Lagos, is repeated twice with different amount?
- What is a “scandalous” title “Various Government House payments,” N216,000,000.00?
Also, Mr. Melaye says in the statement, the document included several controversial points, such as:
- Estacode (funds intended to cover traveling costs) to Vienna, Austria and Los Angeles, N31,465,491.00.
- Hosting of Senior Course 35 participants of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jabi at N37,258,500.00.
- Two times Assistance to hosting of National Health Summit cost put at N45,000,000.00 and N35,000,000.00 respectively, while the proper hosting of same event cost N40,504,000.00.
- Another tittle GHP overhead (O/H) different from the earlier ones with no month in reference put at N558, 000.000.00 and O/H put at N100,000,000.
- Some “funny” tittles such as printed release warrants (H) (K) and (M) put at the cost of N939,559,371.96, and N337,417,202.61 and N444,165,589.00 respectively. Meanwhile, a different printed release warrant which cost is put at N1,988,308,165.58.
Mr. Melaye condemns the “desperation” to consume the said N9 billion, describing it as “unparalleled” in the history of corruption. He decries that the deed was done with no tangible social amenity or infrastructure in mind. He said a proper petition to all Anti-graft Agencies would be forwarded this week, adding that corruption in all states must stop and promising to conduct similar checks in every Nigerian state.
See the photocopies of the scandalous documents below (click on the images to enlarge and view them in Gallery mode):
Source: Sahara Reporters
READ MORE: http://news.naij.com/62888.html