eHealth Africa is focused on improving healthcare by creating effective ways to implement reliable health information management systems. We have developed eHealth and mHealth solutions that can be rapidly deployed to manage patient information, streamline clinical procedures, and provide data and analysis on health program outcomes.
Consultancy Period: available now – December 31, 2014 (with possible extension)
Location: Kano, Nigeria with travel as needed
Salary: Competitive and depends on experience. Includes benefits (housing & health insurance)
Definition of Work
The GIS Team Support Consultants provide expertise and focused work in areas where our GIS Team needs further support. Currently these are in the fields of Map Production (using ArcGIS), GeoDatabase Management (ArcSDE with SQL Server 2008, and 2 way sync), implementation of supportive tools and technologies (particular open source GIS tools), image processing and semi-automated feature classification.
Examples of Duties
- Supports all aspects of eHealth Africa’s GIS program
- Provide direct GIS applications technical support
- Support training of junior GIS technicians
- Support the development of GIS applications (some programming, python, and scripting knowledge required)
- Produces maps, displays, and figures as needed for project related activities
- Provides GIS analysis, queries, searches, and data manipulation
- Provides expertise to staff, engineers, planners, and developers regarding GIS information
- Responsible for the accuracy of GIS data sets
- Provides training and GIS software support
- Oversees the transfer of field data into GIS coverage or datasets
- Compiles detailed records and reports.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Advanced knowledge and experience with ESRI software, specifically ArcGIS suite (ArcInfo, ArcView, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox) and extensions
- Advanced knowledge and experience with ERSI ArcGIS Enterprise Server
- Advanced Database and information management knowledge
- Programming and Scripting with Python
- Experience and skills with other GIS tools (ie Quantum GIS, OpenGeoSuite, Tilemill, etc)
- Ability to perform GIS data conversion/editing, GIS map production, spatial database management, spatial analysis/reporting tasks
- Strong understanding of GIS concepts and spatial data
- Strong catographic/data management skills needed to perform job duties
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, including ability to create formulas and functions, fluidly manage and analyze data, and ensure integrity of data. Must understand data types, how to import and export data from DBFs, personal geodatabases or text files and the limitations on the data in each of these formats in Excel, Access and ArcGIS.
- Strong understanding of Access tables and queries with the ability to write simple SQL statements. Ability to create and modify forms and reports.
- Strong leadership, mentoring, and team-building skills are crucial.
- Experience with project management, including planning, statements of work, budgets, and scheduling.
- Ability to network within the office and educate co-workers about capabilities and applications of GIS.
- Proficient in the understanding and use of GIS for mapping and tracking
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, contractors, other professionals, and the general public.
Education and Experience
- BA/BS in Geography, Cartography, Planning, Natural Resources, Engineering, or GIS related field.
- Masters Degree in related field is a plus
- Minimum of five (5) years of applied GIS experience
- Professional technical experience with designing, creating, editing, and maintaining geodatabases and metadata for numerous projects.
- Professional technical experience with SQL Server/Access and Postgres/Postgis DBMS’s at a strong working level.
- Good presentation and speaking skills.