The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) said the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) on Thursday repelled a dusk attack by terrorists to overrun markets in Monguno, New Marte in Borno.
The information is contained in a statement signed by Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, Director of Defence Information and issued in Abuja on Friday.
The statement said that the troops were repelled on the outskirts of Monguno and at New Marte on the Chadian border.
It said that more than 50 assorted brands of grenades and 11 AK 47 rifles were recovered from the fleeing terrorists.
“The MNJTF is conducting a cordon and search operation in the general area while heightening patrols”, the statement said.
According to the statement, interrogation of captured terrorists from various locations has been yielding useful information as to their mode of operations.
“Among those in custody is a lead specialist in butchering human beings who insists he does not use firearms but daggers and cutlasses for his assignment.
“More assaults and encounters are continuing in other identified locations as intelligence sources confirm the routes being used by the fleeing terrorists”, the statement said.
The statement added that troops had been directed to sustain aggressive patrols in certain areas where terrorists’ actions are anticipated. (NAN)