The Presidency on Friday declared that no individual or cabal was capable of stopping President Goodluck Jonathan if he decides to seek a second term in office come 2015.
This was the position of the Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters, Mr. Ahmed Gulak, who spoke in an exclusive interview with SUNDAY PUNCH on behalf of the Presidency.
Gulak said only voters could decide Jonathan’s fate, adding that from the political consultations carried out so far, it was glaring that Nigerians had seen that there was no alternative to the president in 2015.
The presidential aide said Nigerians, at home and in the Diaspora, were in harmony that Nigeria was safer in Jonathan’s hands.
He said, “I have said it before and severally that it is Mr. President’s constitutional right to offer himself for second term in office. It is Nigerians that will either vote for him or not, not a cabal, not a few individuals, not those who believe Presidency is their birthright.
“The birthright of every Nigerian to stand election is there. You can see for yourself, it is overwhelming, Nigerians are calling on the man to come out and they will vote for him.
“We are just waiting for him to answer the clarion call. It is a call for peace; it is a call for unity, a call for continuous development. It is just a matter of time.
“Nigerians have seen there is no alternative to President Goodluck Jonathan in 2015. We have gone round the country; even Nigerians in the Diaspora are unanimous on the fact that Nigeria is safer in President Jonathan’s hands”.
Gulak also confirmed that the president was reaching out to all those that matter, including his estranged political benefactor, ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo.
He however did not go further. “The President is reaching out to everybody, this I assure you”, was all he said.