State Govt’s Refusal To Permit Use Of Stadium Forces Jonathan To Cancel Campaign Visit To Ekiti

president-goodluck-ebele-jonathan-official_portraitPresident Goodluck Jonathan’s one-day campaign visit to Ekiti State, which was earlier slated for tomorrow has been postponed.

The President was billed to inaugurate the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) gubernatorial candidate, Mr Ayo Fayose’s campaign for the June 21 polls in the state.

The Director-General of Ayo Fayose Campaign team, Chief Dipo Anisulowo, and the State Publicity Secretary of PDP, Pastor Kola Oluwole disclosed this at a news conference on Sunday.

They said the postponement was occasioned by the refusal of Ekiti State government to approve usage of the Oluyemi Kayode stadium in Ado-Ekiti.

They also said the leadership of the party in the state had earlier written a letter of request to the state governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, who is seeking a second term in office, intimating him of the president’s visit.

However, they said the party was shocked to read a reply, dated April 2, 2014 with Reference No SS2 Vol. IV/08 and signed by one Mr P.O Dada, detailing the refusal of the State to allow use of the state Stadium.

“This action of the State government clearly shows the level of intolerance and unwarranted hatred for the opposition which is condemnable.

“The Ekiti State Stadium belongs to the Ekiti people and not APC, the public utility is being funded with Ekiti people’s money, it is, therefore, surprising that the people of Ekiti, who are members of the opposition party are being denied the use of the public utilities”, they said.

The party said the new turn of events had been communicated to President Jonathan, who would in due course set a new date.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *