2 Pirates Killed, 6 Arrested in Gun Duel With Navy

Must Read

COVID-19: Osun Discharges Index Case As Oyetola Seeks 30 Days National Lockdown

Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola has announced that the index case of coronavirus in the state has been discharged...

PDP Charges NASS To Ensure Transparency In N500bn Intervention Proposal

The Peoples Democratic Party has charged the national assembly to ensure transparency in the disbursement of the N500 billion...

COVID-19: Niger Relaxes Curfew; Asks Civil Servants To Resume

 Niger state government has asked the state civil servant to resume work and also announced a relaxation of the...

Lockdown: Reps Seek 2-Month Free Power Supply To Nigerians

The speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila has announced that the lower chamber is currently proposing a...

Coronavirus: CONCACAF Nations League Finals Postponed

The region governing body of CONCACAF Nations League has announced that the competition finals scheduled to be staged in...

Nigerian Navy (NN) personnel drawn from Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Benin and NNS Ikot-Abasi, have rescued a distressed oil tanker, MT SP Brussels at the Lagos anchorage, killing two of the pirates who had hijacked the vessel and killed two crew members.

The oil tanker with International Maritime Organisation (IMO) and MMSI numbers 9387164 and 538003624 respectively, is registered in Marshall Islands with a length and beam of 118 and 18 metres respectively.

With its call sign reading as V7MI7, the 35 gross tonnage vessel and 14 metric tonnes container capacity of products, had last communicated its position on April 11, when it was at UTC terrestrial heading to its destination at Lagos offshore when it was hijacked.

It was gathered that the oil-laden vessel was accosted at about 120 nautical miles outside Lagos waters, en route from Port Harcourt, by eight heavily armed pirates who overtook them in two speed boats.

While two of the pirates remained on each of the speedboats to man it, six others boarded the oil tanker vessel and in an exchange of gun fire with the two police escorts attached to the vessel, shot dead two of the crew members; an Indian and the Captain.

It was gathered that after the pirates had successfully disarmed the police and taken possession of the vessel, the frightened crew members made up of Indians, Pakistanis and Ghanaians had fled to the Citadel (a place to hide for safety on board ships) to hide.

However, immediately the pirates searched the vessel and discovered it devoid of human life, they went straight to the Citadel and brought them out. The pirates set sail to go offload the stolen products onboard the vessel, but unfortunately, the NN had gotten wind of the attack and gave them pursuit.

Both naval vessels had cut off the escape route by the pirates and a gun duel ensued but the navy had the upper hand with the level of weapon handling and marksmanship gained from their frequent Small Arms Firing Exercise (SAFEX) trainings.

- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -