President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday expressed optimism that the abduction of more than 200 schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, would be the end to terror in the country.
The President said this at the opening plenary of the World Economic Forum on Africa holding in Abuja.
Jonathan, who said that Nigeria was proud to host the event for the first time it was coming to West Africa, thanked participants for coming at a time Nigeria was facing terror attacks.
Jonathan thanked China, the US, United Kingdom and France who volunteered to assist Nigeria in the rescue efforts of the girls and in fighting the terrorists
“Let me specially thank all of you for accepting to come. Especially this time that as a nation we are facing attacks from terrorists.
“Let me appreciate you individually and collectively for your support and your sentiment.
“In fact by your presence here in Nigeria at this time, you have already supported us to win the war.
“If you have refused to come because of fear, the terrorists would have jubilated and even have committed more havoc.
“Your coming here to support us morally is a major blow on the terrorists and by God’s grace we will conquer the terrorists.
“Let me use this opportunity to thank the other countries who have volunteered to help us in terms of rescuing the abducted girls. The government of China has promised to assist us and I believe that assistance will come almost immediately.
“US, UK and France have also spoken to me and expressed their commitment to assist us.
“I believe that the kidnapping of these girls will be the beginning of end to terror in Nigeria”, he said.
The President said the theme of the Forum, “Creating Jobs and inclusive Growth”, was critical to Nigeria, Africa and the world at large.
He said job creation was a global challenge and nearly all countries of the world, of class and position, faced the problem of unemployment.
Jonathan noted that the unemployment problem in Africa was compounded by its youthful population.
He, therefore, tasked African leaders to place utmost priority on employment creation to forestall damning prediction of additional 122 million unemployed workforce by 2020.
President Jonathan said that wealth creation had been the main focus of his administration’s transformation agenda through mobilisation and diversification of the economy.
He also said that his government recognised that the private sector must be the agent of growth and job creation and it was, therefore, putting in place programmes to support the sector.
Jonathan said that the Nigerian economy had grown rapidly at about seven per cent in the last 10 years and the country was now the largest economy in Africa and 26th in the world.
He, however, said the robust economy was yet to translate into jobs creation and government was working hard to create jobs for people.
Specifically, Jonathan said government was focussing on specific sectors which has high job creation potentials such as agriculture, manufacturing, housing, construction and the servicing sectors.
Jonathan said that government was also giving attention to small and medium scale enterprises to create sustainable jobs. (NAN)