New Barcelona manager Luis Enrique Martinez has promised to create a team playing attractive and attack-minded football at the Cam Nou.
The former Catalan midfielder, who scored 109 goals from 1996 to 2004, signed a two-year contract on Wednesday morning in the Presidential Suite of the club ground, joined by president Josep Maria Bartomeu and director of sport Andoni Zubizarreta.
“This is a very special day. We are beginning the building of a new, exciting Barça” the coach, who quit Celta Vigo last week, told the club fans in an upbeat mood.
“My team will attack, we’ll play attractive and effective football – the kind of football that millions across the world have come to love – which means we need to defend well too.”
Enrique was named Gerardo Martino successor, following recommendations by club chief Bartomeu.
Argentine, Martino, quit the Spanish giants at the end of last season, after failing to guide the club to the La Liga title defence, as his side drew a must-win final match of the season against champions Atletico Madrid at the Nu Camp.
Enrique said: “I am aware of the responsibility and the difficulty of the job, but I can’t wait to hear the Barça anthem and enjoy the feeling”
Martino was partly blamed for introducing a style of football which never went down well with key members of the Barcelona first team squad in a disappointing 2013/14 season.
“I’ll be laying ourt my plans to the players and talking to them so that they take them on board as their own,” the 44-year-old added. “I don’t think I’ll need to impose very much and bark out orders, we’re in this together , though I’ll be demanding hard work.
“The best thing is enjoying the training sessions and this lovely job we have, getting something out of each day we are at work. I’ll be looking for plenty of hunger from the players and they’ll have to show me that everyday”.