Less than 24 hours after an explosion killed at least three people in the central city of Jos, the Nigerian police has unravelled how the explosion was carried out.
Quoting a police source, PMNEWS reports that the explosion was hidden in a car but detonated prematurely.
The attack which happened at about 9:30 pm (2030 GMT) on Saturday, was the second deadly blast to happen in the city of Jos within a week.
It could be recalled that a twin bomb explosions occurred in a crowded New Abuja Market in Jos last week Tuesday killing over a hundred people.
Speaking on the latest attack, Chris Olakpe, the commissioner of police for Plateau state told AFP: “It was a vehicle-borne IED (improvised explosive device).
“The death toll so far is three. That includes the bomber.”
However, the police boss did not say whether the explosion was an attempted suicide attack.
Manzo Ezekiel, spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), said the explosion was of a lower intensity than Tuesday’s twin car bomb attack.
It was gathered that the scene of the latest explosion was very close to a “viewing centre” showing Saturday evening’s European Champions League football final between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid.
According to Olakpe and the Plateau state governor’s office, the blast was targeted at the viewing centre but the explosives detonated prematurely.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but the Boko Haram sects have previously targeted football fans watching matches at big screen venues.
The group, which has been waging deadly insurgency in northern Nigeria and last month kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, is suspected of carrying out Tuesday’s attack in Jos.