Football Agent Caught On Video Discussing Match-fixing Plans

A potential match fixer has been caught on film suggesting he could arrange a yellow card during a World Cup game for more than £41,000 and a penalty for £81,000.

Football agent Henry Chukwuma Okoroji was caught telling an undercover reporter that he could fix games and organise certain outcomes during the tournament which starts in Brazil later this month.

It comes just days after the National Crime Agency (NCA) investigated allegations that a friendly between Nigeria and Scotland had been targeted by criminal syndicates.

Speaking from a hotel room in Milan, Italy, the businessman and his associate, only known as Joe, told the reporter a list of prices he would have to pay for different outcomes, including a red card.

He said a yellow card would set them back 50,000 euros (£40,660) and a penalty 100,000 euros (£81,370).

In an attempt to enhance their credibility, the pair also invited Lazio and Nigerian footballer Ogenyi Onazi to the meeting, however there is no suggestion he was involved any fixing plot.

The Super Eagles midfielder has however cried out that he is not a match fixer and will never accede to any plan to bring the game of football to disrepute.

Speaking to The Sun’s undercover reporter Mazher Mahmood, Okoroji said he had already recruited two Nigerian players for this summer’s tournament and was planning to fly to Brazil to oversee his scams during the tournament.

“Hundred percent, two players. It’s left up to you people what you want to do. You will pay for a yellow or a red card or a penalty,” the agent said.

After making the offer, Okoroji rang a prominent Nigerian player and claimed he had agreed to take part in the fix.

But Okoroji said: “The player cannot come because of his career, which is true. These things you cannot speak on the phone because they are monitoring, all agents, are monitoring his calls.

Okoroji claims he was a professional footballer and got into match-fixing after he was approached as a player.

During the conversation with the paper, he also said he could speak to a senior figure in the Nigerian Football Federation to influence squad selection for forthcoming tournament.

A spokesman for the NCA, who are now said to be investigating the claims, said: “The NCA will from time to time provide operational detail necessary for public reassurance purposes.”

“It does not routinely confirm or deny the existence of specific operations or provide ongoing commentary on operational activity.”

The tournament begins in two weeks and England’s first game is against Italy on June 13.

1 Comment

  • During the conversation with the paper, he also said he could speak to a senior figure in the Nigerian Football Federation to influence squad selection for forthcoming tournament.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *