Italy boss Cesare Prandelli says he is resigning after his side’s elimination from the World Cup.
Prandelli announced he has submitted his resignation to the Italian FA’s president after the defeat to Uruguay.
“I spoke to the heads of the Italian FA afterwards and I told them I’m resigning,” Prandelli announced at his post-match press conference. We’ve come up short in technical terms and I’m the one who’s responsible for that.
The 56-year-old was handed the reins of the Azzurris after the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, officially succeeding Marcelo Lippi on August 10, 2010.
He signed a two year deal expected to keep him in charge of the team until Uefa 2016 in March, after guiding them to qualification for Brazil.
While at the tournament, Italy opened with a 2-1 win over England before losing to eventual group winners Costa Rica and Uruguay by a goal.
“Something has changed since my contract was renewed. I don’t know why. I chose a certain technical plan and that’s why I’m resigning – because it did not work,” he added.
The ex-Roma and Fiorentina boss also led the team to a second-place finish at the Euro 2012 final in Poland and Ukraine, where they were beaten by eventual champions Spain 4-0.
After winning 23 of his 51 matches in charge of the Italian team- drawing 16 with only 12 losses- Prandelli has decided to end his time with the four-time champions.
Italy lost a controversial final Group D game to Uruguay on Tuesday, to exit the World Cup at the group stage.
Claudio Marchisio was sent off for an ugly challenge on Egidios Rios with 30 minutes to go.
Captain Godin’s late header made the difference in Natal as ‘La Celeste’ finished runners-up of Group D, behind Costa Rica, who played out to a goalless draw with the already ousted England in the other game.
“It was an even game when it was 11 against 11, with both sides challenging for possession and us creating chances to go through,” Prandelii said after the match. “It was a good match but unfortunately for us Marchisio’s sending-off influenced the rest of the game.”
The coach is not the only person to leave his position at the football federation, with president Giancarlo Abete also stepping down. He said he would recommend that Prandelli changes his mind, but that he himself was going.
“I will go to the board and offer my irrevocable resignation too. I had already made this decision before the World Cup,” he said.