Former Presidential candidate of the African Liberation Party (ALP) in the 2011 general elections, Chief Osita Emmanuel Okereke, has said the activities of Boko Haram in the country was the handiwork of desperate politicians seeking power.
Speaking yesterday in Abuja, to a group under the aegis of Southern Youths For Peace Initiatives (SYPI), after being conferred as the Patron of the group, Okereke said insurgency was created by the politicians scheming for power in the forthcoming 2015 elections, to intimidate President Goodluck Jonathan from seeking a second term in office.
According to Vanguard report, Okereke who is also the Director-General of a Taskforce on Illegal Importation of Small Arms and Light Weapons explained that the abduction of the over 200 school girls from their school in Chibok, Borno State was masterminded by the politicians to discredit Jonathan’s administration.
He recalled that owing to the insecurity in the area, the Borno State Government had been advised against allowing examinations which the students were writing at the period of their abduction take place at the community.
He also decried the mounting pressure on President Goodluck Jonathan to visit Chibok community in Borno State, where the girls were abducted by Boko Haram terrorists
According to him, it was an ‘unnecessary adventure’.
Boko Haram, an Islamist group, has caused continued to wreck havoc in Nigeria, especially in the Northern region, through a wave of bombings, assassinations and now abductions. Despite the state of emergency imposed by the Federal Government in the most affected states like Borno, the sect, have continued to carry out their incessant attacks. The notorious Boko Haram sect has claimed responsibility for terror attacks that have killed thousands of innocent lives in Borno state and other states across Nigeria. Analysis has revealed that the insurgents have killed more than 4,000 innocent Nigerians using their guerilla warfare strategy.
However, the most vicious terrorist attack of the year was the abduction of over 200 Chibok school girls on April 14 in Borno State. Though some of the girls managed to escape and are back with their families, majority of the victims are yet to be freed.