The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said yesterday that over 400,000 people have been displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency in the North-East part of the country within the past seven months.
A statement by Abdulkadir Ibrahim, the information officer of the agency in the region, said the displaced persons were drawn from Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States, which are presently under state of emergency.
Ibrahim said prior to recent attacks in Gwoza in southern Borno and Doron-Baga in Kukawa LGA in the northern part of the state, the number of the displaced persons stood at 360,462.
“Borno State alone had 183,031 IDPs, Adamawa and Yobe were recording 147,198 and 30,233 respectively from January till the end of last month. However, the number of the IDPs increased to over 400,000 in August. And because of the magnitude of cases in areas affected by the insurgency and the number of IDPs, NEMA has trained volunteers and the Emergency Management Vanguard who work with the Red Cross to set up camps and to register internally displaced persons.
“Those recently displaced as a result of the capture of Gwoza by the insurgents are now in Madagali in Adamawa State and Uba in Borno State. We are providing relief materials to over 30,000 persons now accommodated in various facilities.
“Those displaced by last Sunday’s insurgency attack on Doron-Baga are accommodated at Central Primary School, Baga. We have also delivered relief items provided by the Dangote Foundation and the Presidential Committee on Disaster to various facilities at NYSC Borno orientation camp, EYN Church in Maiduguri, Gidan Kaji, Pompomari and Gwange where 200 Nigerian refugees from Central African Republic are accommodated”, the statement said.