Ebola Death Toll Rises To 1,145 Globally — WHO

The death toll from the worst ever outbreak of Ebola has risen to 1,145, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said, even as 76 new deaths were reported in two West African states already hit by the epidemic.

According to the UN health agency, a total of 152 confirmed, probable and suspected new cases of the deadly hemorrhagic fever were reported in two days, in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, bringing the total for the outbreak to 2,127.

Meanwhile, Minister for Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu has met with the concerned friends and families of the Ebola afflicted victims following their complaints about the welfare of their wards.

“As you know, we have a serious situation and anyone that has a relative is bound to be anxious, and when relatives complain, we must listen,” said Chukwu.

He admitted that all the complaints were being investigated, adding that he had been briefed on the development and recommendations were being put in place.

“I’m a doctor myself and I’m behaving now more as a doctor than as a Minister. Normally, when relatives of patients complain, I want to see them, working together, sometimes they do not have the full information, and who knows, sometimes they themselves can add valued to what we are doing,” he said.

According to him, the Federal Government is open to suggestions and contributions.

“We knew the former place was only temporary and we knew we could do better and that was why the Lagos State government made every effort to get the new isolation unit ready. Penultimate Friday, I visited the Lagos State Governor and he personally assured me the new facility will be ready this week. He kept to his word. Of course as soon as it was ready it was made available and the patients have been moved to the new facility, which is better than where they were before.”

Pointing out that no stone was being left unturned, he said hopefully all shortcomings they may have observed were actually being addressed by the new place.

“I had to personally discuss with the Chief Medical Director of LUTH, Prof Akin Oshibogun, when I was told they were not satisfied with facilities for critical care. That is why we have reinforced what is available. New equipment has been put in to reassure the patients that we would do everything humanly possible to keep them alive and to return them to their families and work,” the Minister explained.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *