Islamic State Beheads Another US Journalist In New Video

Must Read

3 Types of Insurance Every Nigerian Needs

Let’s start with the perception towards insurance in Nigeria: In this part of this world, a good number of...

Part Of APC Manifesto Was Written In Pat Utomi’s House: Osinbajo

  Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo says some parts of the All Progressives Congress (APC) manifesto was written at the residence of...

Amotekun Has Its Origin From The Bible: MURIC

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has asked governors of the south-west to rename Amotekun because it has a biblical...

Ortom Escapes Death Following Herdsmen Attack

Samuel Ortom, governor of Benue state, on Monday, revealed how he was attacked by suspected herdsmen while at his...

Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today: 28th January 2020

Lassa Fever: 7 Doctors, 5 Nurses Quarantined In Adamawa Seven doctors and five nurses have reportedly been quarantined at the...

The Islamic State has released a video showing a masked militant apparently beheading a second American journalist and threatening to kill a British captive next.

“I’m back, Obama, and I’m back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State,” the militant says, speaking in what sounds like a London accent.

The footage, seen by AFP after it was found online by private terrorism monitor SITE, shows 31-year-old freelance reporter Steven Sotloff dressed in orange and on his knees in a desert landscape.

The masked militant condemns the ongoing US strikes against the Islamic State — a Sunni jihadist group that operates in Iraq and Syria — and then cuts Sotloff’s throat.

He then introduces a second captive, identified in a caption by name as a British citizen.

Sotloff’s mother Shirley Sotloff issued a video last week pleading with IS leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi to release her son.

A family spokesman said the Sotloff family “knows of this horrific tragedy and is grieving privately.”

The family has not yet been told whether the video is authentic, and do not plan to make any additional comments now.

Earlier, the State Department said US intelligence officials were still trying to determine if the video was genuine.

British Prime Minister David Cameron said the latest video depicted an “absolutely disgusting, despicable act.”

The previous video was released last month after US President Barack Obama ordered air strikes against the Islamic State.

It showed 40-year-old Foley’s death at the hands of a masked militant who then threatened Sotloff, a Miami-born freelance reporter who has written for Time magazine, Foreign Policy and other outlets.

US officials said they were working to confirm the authenticity of the latest video, and State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Washington would be “sickened” if it proved genuine.

American air strikes against IS positions and vehicles continued in the wake of Foley’s death, and more than 120 have been carried out, most of them hitting targets around Iraq’s largest dam north of Mosul.

The video, shot with the same high production values as its predecessor, is entitled: “A second message to America.”

It opens with a clip of Mr Obama vowing to be “relentless” in his determination to protect US citizens from IS attacks.

Sotloff identifies himself in English and calmly explains that he is paying the price for Mr Obama’s policy. His killer also speaks in English.

Sotloff was kidnapped in northern Syria more than a year ago, on August 4, 2013. His family only publicly revealed his captivity last month, having previously requested a media blackout. [AFP]

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -