The Defence Headquarters says troops on Wednesday morning successfully crushed another attempt by terrorists on a revenge mission to Konduga, Borno after 12 hours of fighting in the community.
A statement posted on the DHQ website on Wednesday, said that the troops were now combing the vicinity of Konduga.
It explained that the cordon and search operation was to determine the “heavy’’ casualties suffered by the terrorists in the encounter.
The statement said three Hilux vehicles, one Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) and cache of arms and ammunition were captured from the insurgents and promised to give more details later.
Meanwhile, Brig.-Gen. Olajide Layeye, the Director of Army Public Relations, said the renewed morale, fighting spirit and combat efficiency of troops had been boosted by new strategies devised by the armed forces.
In a statement on Wednesday, Laleye said that the support of well-meaning members of the public had also boosted the morale of the troops.
“Therefore, the Nigerian Army implores the public to continue to support the military and other security agencies engaged in the ongoing operation to rid Nigeria of bloodletting insurgents and ruthless religious extremists.” [Vanguard]