Arms Deal: South Africa Returns Nigeria’s $15m

South Africa has refunded the $15 million seized from Nigeria, the country’s envoy has revealed

Speaking Friday, South African Ambassador to Nigeria, Lulu Louis Mnguni said the money meant for the two arms deals seized by his country has been returned. He assured that the seizure was in no way connected to the building collapse at the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCoAN), where over 80 South africans died.

“South Africa’s relations with Nigeria comes a long way, so, now, this will actually make us much closer, to see how we can close some of these gaps that result in such accidents,” online news medium, Cable quoted Mnguni as saying.

“South Africa’s relations with Nigeria is priceless, it cannot be sold for $15 million. These are two separate incidents and, of course, the issue of the money has already been sorted out. Nigeria has been given the money,” Mnguni added.

The ambassador had earlier in the month said South Africa was ready to return Nigeria’s money but due process needs to be followed in the reclamation of the money.

“Well, obviously we also in South Africa don’t want to keep Nigeria’s money, but we want to follow due process to address it. It’s their money and so they would like to have their money back,” he said on a TV programme.

He also said at the time that South Africa had no reason not to sell arms to Nigeria adding that Nigeria has a long history of buying arms from his country.

“We’ve been selling arms to Nigeria for many years, so we don’t have a problem. Why should we not sell arms to Nigeria? If Nigeria needs arms to protect its citizens and its peoples, so we have to assist them.”

Tags from the story
arms deal, nigeria, south Africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *