The more more than 200 Chibok schoolgirls are expected to be released on Tuesday, following a ceasefire agreement between the Boko Haram insurgents and the Federal Government, Reuters reported on Saturday, citing two senior government sources.
A deal with Boko Haram for a ceasefire had been announced on Friday by Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh.
Although the announcement of the deal has raised hope in several quarters, many who doubt the genuineness of the deal have aired their reservations.
In tweets expressing his doubts, Journalist, Ahmad Salkida said the news was accepted with open arms by Nigerians, who are apparently fed up with the way things were.
“I guess Nigerians are tired and at such, any news that offers respite on this protracted war between Nigeria & #BokoHaram is always welcomed,” Salkida wrote.
“Sadly anybody that demised such good news becomes Nigeria’s enemy. But the leadership of #BH are said to be miffed that a nation of the profile and magnitude of Nigeria, with high level of intelligent people is being easily encased in deceit & nobody seems to be asking tough questions.
“What is most worrying here is, government at the highest level & d intelligence formations in #Nigeria has embraced this ‘good news this shows lack of understanding of the reality that this is an ideology that can only be neutralised after long hardwork that is yet to start,” wrote Salkida.
“It also appears that govt is more interested in shadows and bubbles, than in substance and clear headed engagement with the #BH ideology. May God help #Nigeria.”
Nigerians will be waiting earnestly for the release of the Chibok girls who were abducted from their school on April 14. The release of the girls expect on Tuesday, according to Reuters sources, may determine the political future of President Goodluck Jonathan, whose tenure has been marred by incessant insurgent attacks. He is expected to seek re-election in 2015 and the successful release of the Chibok girls is expected to play a major role in whether Nigerians will consider the president for a further four years.