Mopol Training School Attack: 30 Policemen Still Missing – IGP

Acting Inspector General of Police, IGP, Mr Suleiman Abba, sai about 30 policemen were still unaccounted after more than two months of Boko Haram terrorists attack on their training facility in Gwoza, Borno state.

Abba who spoke with state house correspondents yesterday however said that one of the policemen that went missing had returned to his base.

“Last week we were able to identify that one of the missing officers in Gwoza had gone back to his base this time around. So, there can still be some that are in their homes, perhaps refusing to even report to anyone that they are around because of the trauma they went through.

“Or they could still be among the families in some of the villages around there. It is still our hope that they are alive and that they will come out alive” he said.

The Police had declared 35 officers missing following the deadly attack by suspected Boko Haram fighters on the Mobile Police Training School, Gwoza, on August 23.

The Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Emmanuel Ojukwu, had confirmed the attack in a statement where he gave the number of missing policemen.

“So far, 35 policemen who are still missing from the facility as a result of the latest attack are being searched for with very promising prospect of locating them,” the statement read in part.

Boko Haram has continued its attacks in Borno despite the ceasefire announced by the federal government on October 17. The government has however insisted talks were ongoing with the Boko Haram and attacks would end soon.