Nigeria Risk Another Fifa Ban as Court Rule NFF Polls Illegal

Nigeria could again be suspended from international football by Fifa as a Federal High Court in Jos has ruled to nullify recent elections into the Executive Committee (ExCo) of the Nigeria Football Federation.

Justice Ambrose Allagoa of the Federal High Court, Jos, on Thursday, ruled against the NFF elections in Warri on September 30 which ushered in Delta State Sports Commission chairman Amaju Pinnick as president as well as the congress in the aftermath of the polls because it deemed it against his order.

World football’s governing body Fifa has warned it would automatically place a global ban on the country till the next Fifa congress in May 2015, should there be any hindrances on the newly-elected NFF ExCo .

Justice Allagoa said: “I have set aside all the proceedings and decisions of the Warri Extra Ordinary meeting of the 20th September and the Elective Congress of 30th September which were direct contravention of the orders of this court as granted on the 19th September.

Nigeria Football Federation.
Nigeria Football Federation.
“Nobody should foist on the court a complete case of hopelessness so that the principles of law and justice can be upheld. Its not enough to say that the order of court was wrongly made, no matter how unorthodox, its subsisting orders, unless set aside, remains law and must be respected.

“Defendants in this matter have not filed any counter affidavits in this court to contest the facts. There is no motion nor Memorandum of Appearance. This is a court of Record. On this note, the court has no option to protect the integrity and sanctity of court. Court orders are not tea party. Nobody is above the law. Impunity must be stopped.”

A lawyer representing the NFF Damon Danshe said his clients will appeal this ruling.

“We shall consult with our clients, but certainly we shall go to the Court of Appeal as we are not satisfied with the decisions of the court in this matter,” he said.

The case has reportedly being filed at the court by some persons acting on behalf of Chris Giwa, who claims he was elected NFF president on August 26.

Fifa has said it do not recognise the election the elective congress which took place on August 26 and warned Giwa and his supporters to quit the NFF office.

Nigeria was previously banned from international football in July after another Jos court ordered the removal of the then NFF president Aminu Maigari.