Nigeria’s official news agency says the government fighters from Boko Haram have agreed to an immediate ceasefire.
It quoted the chief of defense staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh, as ordering his troops to immediately comply with the agreement on Friday.
The news came as another official confirmed there had been direct negotiations this week in neighboring Chad about the release of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted six months ago.
“The Nigerian government has reached two agreements with the Boko Haram group. Firstly a ceasefire agreement and then the release of the abducted Chibok girls,” a presidential source told Reuters news agency.
Boko Haram has been demanding the release of detained fighters in exchange for the girls.
The group attracted international condemnation with the April abduction of nearly 300 girls from a boarding school in northeast Chibok town. Dozens escaped but 219 remain missing.