The U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position of Telephone Technician in the Information Program Centre (IPC).
Job Title: Telephone Technician
Basic Function of the Position:
The incumbent maintains, installs, modifies and or repairs Lagos telephone (PBX), related telecommunication equipment and support Post’s new Nortel Telephone System. S/he must be able to assist with HF/VHF, fix base and mobile radio Installation and maintenance. This position makes fundamental repairs in order to maintain equipment operations and may be called upon to provide TDY assistance to Abuja or the region. Incumbent assumes the responsibilities of telecommunication supervisor when called upon.
All applicants MUST address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.
- Completion of Secondary School education is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working as a Telecommunication Technician is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in one Nigeria language is required. Level III (Good working Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough knowledge of telecommunication voice and data signaling, wiring, wiring distribution and circuits is required.
- Must be knowledgeable with telecommunication test equipment, voltmeter, fox and hound and cable analyzer.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Outlook is required. A valid Nigerian driver’s license is required.
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an overall summary rating of “Needs Improvement” or “Unsatisfactory” on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
Salary: or – Ordinarily Resident–N3,459,393 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-07
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$40,262 EFM/MOH – US$34,667 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-07
Application Deadline: 27th October, 2014
How To Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Application for U.S. Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus.
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that directly addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
Submit Applicatio. :
Embassy of the United States of America
Human Resources Office
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area
Or submit to: [email protected]