Jagal Group is a leading Nigerian conglomerate with operations in the Oil & Gas, Construction, Manufacturing, FMCG and Technology industries. The company has been growing successfully over the past 40 years, and has become a valuable and respected contributor to the development of the country’s economy. Jagal Group is a highly respected member of the Nigerian business community and is consistently amongst the leaders of its business sectors.
Prime responsibilities and duties
- Structure and manage the company’s internal legal function and staff.
- Negotiate, write, and execute agreements and contracts.
- Offer counsel on a variety of legal issues.
- Advise senior management within the company and work alongside employees in different business units.
- Provide advice on legal risks and business terms of various deals.
- Explain legal language.
- Draft terms and conditions in agreements.
- Ensure legal objectives are met.
- Research unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes that may affect the company and its affiliates.
- Perform pre-litigation work to minimize risks and maximize legal rights.
- Develop solutions to complex legal questions.
- Provide training to company and its affiliates on substantive legal topics.
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies and procedures and provide continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Serve as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Judge the merits of court cases filed against or on behalf of the Company, work with the appropriate managers to define a strategic defense and approve settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Monitors that the Company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Management of all outside counsel.
Functional Competencies / Technical Expertise
- Proven record in international negotiations.
- Proven record in claim and dispute resolution.
- Proven record in managing of projects in the oil and gas industry.
- Has advanced knowledge of various model forms of fabrication and construction and other contracts, and a working knowledge of when and how they are used.
- Experience in resolving conflicting priorities by remaining flexible in an ever-changing business environment.
- Expert knowledge in Contract Law and different forms of dispute resolution.
- Expert knowledge in international business law.
- Demonstrates advanced understanding of the challenges and risks associated with an effective project execution.
- Proven ability to manage multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
Skills & Experience
- Holds an LLM university degree.
- At least 10 years’ experience in the international Oil & Gas industry over degree qualifications.
- At least 15 years’ experience in in general law practice.
- Substantial international legal and contracts experience in major oil and gas projects;
- Computer Literate – MS Project, MS Excel, MS Word,
- Good English written and verbal
- Effectively work under pressure in a team-oriented environment;
- Demonstrate the ability to meet deadlines and produce quality complex work;
- Must have good communication skills, deductive reasoning ability and information ordering aptitude when performing duties
- Able to coordinate and lead multi-national teams.