There are days when you just want to crawl back in the bed and cover your head. Days when you want to block out anything that doesn’t look like bucket of ice cream or a spoon. Okay, maybe you don’t want the bucket of ice cream, you want something different. Whatever your choice, you want that one thing and all the temporary pleasure that comes with it. On this day you are free from problems and challenges, no bills to pay, no spills to clean up, no dinner to cook, no dishes to wash, no boss to answer to, no email to answer. It’s just you and your bucket, yes bucket (not bowl) of your favorites – ice cream, hot bath, a quiet movie, and the sand from the beach (your choice).
We all have those days and we can all make it through. There is always hope. Here are 5 antidotes to help you make it through and keep hope alive. This is not a medical explanation, but what has worked for me. Try what fits you or post below and add your antidote to the list.
1) Laugh. Find something to laugh about. Watch a funny show. Recall a silly moment. Laughter is a good stress reliever.
2) Ask. Ask for help. Who can you ask – a family member, friend, neighbor, hire or outsource.
4) Massage. Schedule a massage at least once of month. As busy people trying to raise children, help with parents, work full-time, run a business, make time for a significant other, volunteer at church, maintain a household, and brush your teeth in the morning! You need a moment to relax. A massage may not be in your budget. However, you can “find” the money to care for you. Skip a meal out, each payday set aside $30 to cover 1/2 of a massage, the next pay day set aside the other half of the money. Your tense muscles will thank you.
3) Breathe. Sounds silly, however, when we are challenged, full, overwhelmed we can forget to take nice deep breathes. I mean purposed intentional breathes that cause you to slow down.
5) Stop. When life feels like it is too much. Stop. No more excuses. You must take time to make sure that you are taken good care of. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day, get your 10 minutes and do what you can to take good care of you.
Some days life does feel like it’s too much. You are an intricate part of so many different things. Your children, business, your mate – Yes, they all need you and they want you healthy and strong for a long time. So, when life feels like too much think about LAMBS – Laugh, Ask, Message, Breathe, Stop.