APC Instructs Lawyers To Commence Legal Proceedings Against NCC Over Fundraising Ban

Must Read

COVID-19: APC Calls For Understanding On Stimulus Package Distribution

Following the public outcry that has greeted the manner in which palliatives were shared in Lagos state over lockdown...

COVID-19: Wike Attacks FG For Giving Lagos N10b, While Rivers Gets Nothing

Rivers state governor, Nyesom Wike has attacked the federal government of Nigeria for releasing a whopping sum of N10b...

Coronavirus: 140 Lebanese Evacuated Out Of Nigeria

Following the coronavirus pandemic in Nigeria, the Lebanese government has evacuated one hundred and forty Lebanese nationals through the...

4-Year-Old Tiger Tests Positive For Coronavirus

A 4-year-old Malayan tiger at a Bronx Zoo in New York City has tested positive for COVID-19, in what...

Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today: 6th April 2020

Good Morning, welcome to Information Nigeria’s Newspaper headlines for today, 6th April 2020.Here are the major headlines.Coronavirus Is Blessing...
daniel
Ardent Reader, News Freak, Socio-Political Commentator, Archaeologist & Pro-Democrat.

APC_Babatunde_Fashola_Fund_raisingThe All Progressives Congress, APC, said it has instructed its lawyers to institute a court case against the National National Communications Commission, NCC, for shutting down some of the party’s platforms of fundraising.

The Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, made the disclosure on Sunday at the meeting of the Fundraising Directorate of the APC Presidential Council, in Abuja.

Shortly after the Buhari-Osinbajo Presidential Campaign Fundraising Committee, headed by Mr. Fashola, launched some of its platforms for raising funds, the NCC, last week, shut down the Short Messaging Service (SMS) platform – 35350 – meant to encourage grassroots donors, especially young people, to do so at the cost of N100 per SMS.

Fashola, who is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), argued that the commission’s action was a breach of constitutional provisions and tantamount to double standards, concluding that the party was left with no other choice but to seek legal redress of the action.

According to him, the directive to shut the platform was contained in a letter dated January 19, with reference number NCC/CAB/GEN/2015/VOL.1/004, which was signed by officials of the NCC.

The officials, who signed the directive, according to Fashola, included the Director of Consumer Affairs, Maryam Bayi and the Head of Legal and Regulatory Services, Yinka Akinloye, on behalf of the NCC Executive Vice Chairman, Eugene Juwah.

Accusing NCC of double standards, the governor recalled that in 2010, approval was given to the Jonathan/Sambo campaign organisation to raise funds using such a platform but that the APC was being denied the same right in 2015.

He said: “We have advised our lawyers to go to court, they are preparing the papers now. In 2010, approval was given to the Jonathan/Sambo campaign to raise fund (using such a platform). The rule seems to have changed in 2015”.

In spite of the development, Fashola explained to the gathering that the fundraising platform, which included the sale of scratch cards and donations into a designated First Bank account, are still active.

The APC fundraising committee chairman noted that even though the platform was established when the APC presidential candidate, Muhammadu Buhari, was still seeking the party’s ticket, “it is still up and running and supporters can still donate”.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -