National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki has said “all known Boko Haram camps will be taken out” by the time of the rescheduled vote.
“They won’t be there. They will be dismantled,” he told AFP in an interview when asked what gains could be made against the
Islamists before the new polling date of March 28.
Dasuki had made the call for election dates to be shifted, citing security issues. He got his wish at the weekend when the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) announced the polls had been postponed by six weeks due to security concerns.
Nigeria has previously set deadlines to defeat Boko Haram insurgents that have come and gone, but the new deadline is significant, as it may make or mar the political future of President Goodluck Jonathan, whose administration has been greatly criticized for not being able to end Boko Haram insurgency in the country.
However, Dasuki said that even if the goal was not achieved “the situation then would surely be conducive enough for elections” and there will no need for a further postponement to voting.
Recent cooperation by Nigeria’s neighbours has yielded results, with several towns already reclaimed from the insurgents.
The general elections will now hold on March 28 and April 11, 2015.