Being an identical twin is a mystery to ‘normal’ people. Like aliens or Scientology.
People seem to find ‘twindom’ fascinating, and I can’t count the amount of times I’ve been asked ‘what’s it like?’ by friends, family, and strangers in pubs who haven’t had the experience of sharing a womb with another person.
Yes, we are a miracle of human nature and look amazingly cute when dressed the same, but to me (and probably all other twins out there) being a twin is one of the most natural things in the world.
Here are 22 things you will only appreciate if you have a womb-sister (or brother):
1. The next person who asks you if you can ‘feel your twin’s pain’ or ‘read their mind’ can actually go and die. No, it is not an original chat up line.
2. Just because you share the same genes doesn’t mean you are the same person, and it is possible for you to like different things. Whaddya know?
3. ‘So, which one is the evil twin’ = shut the hell up.
4. Not correcting people when they get the wrong twin because you can’t be bothered. You answer to both names anyway.
5. How guys’ eyes light up when you tell them you’re a twin (usually only happens with girl twins). ‘Does she look like you?’ Just ew.
6. Having a ‘partner in crime’ for every stage of your childhood is brilliant and you feel sorry for only children.
7. The awkward moment when someone confuses you for your twin and you have not a clue what they are talking about.
8. You hate the Cheeky Girls for propagating the myth that twins love dressing in sexy matching outfits and are probably dying to have a threesome with you.
9. Dying your hair and getting interesting piercings is a very important part of growing up so people can tell you apart.
10. That time when you swapped classes in school and got away with it for about six minutes. Obviously you’re not as mysterious and sneaky as you think.
11. You have a soft spot for the mischievous Weasley twins and cried for days when Fred died. Even sadder than when Dumbledore snuffed it.
12. Don’t even go there with these two.
13. But it’s OK, these mega babes were our idols growing up.
14. Being a twin is a great USP, and you secretly dread being upstaged by triplets.
15. Everyone presumed you could read each other’s minds and cheat in exams at school. You didn’t correct them.
16. The awkward moment when you meet a mutual friend in the street and they can’t tell you apart. You know who your real friends are.
17. You wave back to random people in public despite having no idea who they are. Could be a friend of your twin, or it could just be a crazy person.
18. Having twins is your biggest fear because you know how much of a handful you were when you were little.
19. You can borrow your twin’s clothes without worrying whether they fit, and basically own two wardrobes whenever you live together.
20. You know what different lipstick shades would look like on you just from looking at your sister.
21. Your twin getting a girlfriend/boyfriend before you is actually the most devastating thing in the world.
22. Nobody can top your baby pictures for cuteness and your parents show every new person that enters the house.
23. No matter how epic your fights can be, you always know that your special twin bond can’t be broken, and you will be best friends for life.