The All Progressives Congress, APC, has alerted the security agencies to reported cases of violence and disruption of voting process in several areas of Lagos, Rivers and Ondo states, urging them to intervene in order to ameliorate the situation.
In a statement issued in Lagos on Saturday by its National Publicity Secretary, Lai Mohammed, the party said in many parts of Lagos, thugs armed by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, are on rampage, shooting indiscriminately to scare away voters and carting away voting materials.
However, these claims could not be independently verified by Information Nigeria.
Mr. Mohammed said the development confirmed earlier statements by his party that the PDP has been engaging in gun running in Lagos, with a view to arming thugs to disrupt the polls.
APC listed instances of violence and disruption of voting allegedly perpetrated by PDP as follows:
– PDP thugs on rampage in Abule Okuta area of Bariga LCDA. Their sporadic shootings have disrupted the accreditation exercise in the area as INEC officials, voters and residents scamper for safety.
– PDP thugs are harassing and intimidating APC agents, and INEC officials are refusing to show result sheets to APC agents who demand such. There are fears that those results sheets may have been handed over to PDP.
– PDP agents storm Polling Units in Apapa Ward A Unit 009 with persons who do not belong to the PUs and they were accredited
– OPC thugs under police protection attacking voters and INEC officials all over Lagos.
– No Electoral Officers in PUs in Ogudu, a known APC stronghold.
– PDP Secretariat in Apapa (Lander Close) off Liverpool Road filled with OPC men from Ajegunle
– Police in Iyana Ipaja arresting intending voters holding PVCs and locking them up in police stations, thus preventing their accreditation
– Electoral materials hijacked in many Polling Units in Ibeju Lekki. PDP thugs waylay INEC officials, vowed to kill them if they come to the PUs.
– Ballot boxes snatched in three Polling Units in Eti-Osa LG
– Shortage of Card Readers in many Polling Units in Ikorodu.
– Over 50 soldiers have been posted to Nyesom Wike’s residence in Old GRA area of Port Harcourt. The troops have been harassing people in the area.
– Home of Commissioner for Women Affairs in Rivers State, Joeba West, set ablaze in Buguma.
– INEC registration area centre in Kalabari National College in Buguma also set ablaze
– Police patrol vehicle also burnt in Buguma by suspected PDP thugs.
– Electoral materials hijacked in Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State by His Royal Majesty, Oba Frederick Obateru Akinruntan, The Okoro Ajiga 1, of Ugbo Kingdom, in collusion with the PDP. The Oba’s son is a candidate of the PDP.