The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, is one of the leading investors and lenders in emerging markets. The mission of IFC is to promote sustainable private sector investment in developing countries, helping to reduce poverty and improve people’s lives. IFC finances private sector investments in the developing world, mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advice to governments and businesses. The development of infrastructure in Sub-Saharan Africa is a top strategic priority for IFC and for the international development community.
IFC is seeking to recruit an Associate Investment Officer to work closely with other investment staff to support the development, execution and monitoring of investments for its Infrastructure Group in the Africa region. This group is responsible for sourcing and executing investment transactions in power, transport, and utilities in the Africa region.
In addition to traditional investment activities, Associate Investment Officers will also be involved in transactions undertaken by IFC Infraventures, an equity fund established by IFC to provide risk capital and expertise for the early stage development of infrastructure projects. IFC is today a leader in this area and seeks to substantially expand its activities in the region in these sectors. The position provides an opportunity to obtain company, project and sector experience in a specialized, growing and high impact area. Some travel in the region will be required.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The selected candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary team focused on identifying investment opportunities, executing transactions and actively managing portfolio projects. In this role, your objective will be to maximize the impact of IFC’s intervention and contribute to the development of our countries of operation by executing innovative, developmental, and profitable investments for IFC. Responsibilities include:
– Analyze operational and financial performance of potential client companies to identify opportunities, address risks and recommend investment options
– Evaluate the benefits and risks of new transactions and develop innovative and appropriate financial structures
– Prepare financial models
– Conduct industry, market and company research
– Prepare project-related documents for internal and external audiences
– Participate in all aspects of IFC’s project processing cycle from project development to disbursement
– Coordinate closely with environmental and social colleagues to ensure the maintenance of high environmental and social standards in IFC’s investment
– Participate in investment negotiations
– Supervise investments in portfolio companies
– Build and maintain strong relationships with clients and other stakeholders
– Collaborate efficiently with a range of industry and regional IFC colleagues
Desired Skills and Experience
– MBA or equivalent degree
– At least 3-5 years of finance experience, and a proven track record in originating, structuring and closing transactions;
– Strong financial, analytical and modeling skills
– Knowledge of the infrastructure sector, ideally in emerging markets
– Motivation to support development in Sub-Saharan Africa
– Team player with strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
– Commitment to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values
– Excellent communication skills in English required, other language skill an advantage.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
For Corporate Information and to apply to the position, please visit www.ifc.org/careers, vacancy number 150769. Deadline is April 24, 2015. Only selected candidates will be contacted.