Some days after the successful military operation in Sambisa forest, the clash between the army and Boko Haram continued.
Premium Times reports that the insurgents tried to retain nine major camps in the dreaded hideout, however, in vain. The troops found and rescued more women and children following the tough gun battle. However, one soldier died and four others were injured.
Also several sect commanders were killed, said the army officials.
Colonel Sani Usman, the army spokesman, informed newsmen in an April 29 statement:
“The troops have also rescued additional women and children. They have been evacuated to a safety zone for further processing.
“During the encounter unfortunately we lost a soldier, while 4 others were wounded in action. The troops have also killed several Boko Haram field commanders and foot soldiers and destroyed 2 Armoured Personnel Carriers, 2 Buffalo vehicles mounted with Anti-Aircraft Guns, a truck and several Hilux vehicles.
“The gallant soldiers also recovered 1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, 1 General Purpose Machine Gun, 1 Rocket Propelled Grenade and several AK-47 rifles. Sadly, 1 woman died and 8 other women sustained gun shot wounds.
“So far, the troops have destroyed 9 terrorist camps in the forest. This is in addition to the 4 destroyed yesterday. The destroyed camps includes Wulari Bukar, Gangala, Anguwar Bakwai and Jigide. Others include Kotorima, Lagara Bello and Lagara Fulani among others.
“I am glad to say that troops’ morale is very high as they are poised to accomplish the task of destroying all terrorists camps and rescuing all those held hostage by the terrorists”.
The Nigerian army yesterday said that the previously rescued girls were not the Chibok girls. All the freed ladies are currently undergoing medical tests at Maiduguri hospital.