The Nigerian President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, says he is in full support of the steps taken so far by the Nigerian government in its efforts to protect the country’s citizens from the wave of xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
In a statement released in Abuja on Saturday, April 16, Mr. Buhari said that Nigeria’s Head of Mission in Pretoria had taken the right steps by advising the Nigerian community in South Africa to close their shops, stay home and keep out of trouble, while ensuring that they obey the laws of their host country.
“We equally understand that the South African government is making efforts to bring an end to this unfortunate situation”, Mr. Buhari said. “In the meantime, Nigerians in South Africa should abide by the words of caution extended them by their government representative in Pretoria”.
Mr. Buhari also commended the Nigerian government for its decision to monitor the situation in South Africa and evacuate its citizens at any sign of escalation.
“I am happy to see that the Nigerian government is very well aware of its responsibilities to its citizens in South Africa”, Mr. Buhari said.
The President-elect expressed sadness at the unfolding events in South Africa, recalling Nigeria’s and South Africa’s friendly relation since the end of apartheid.