Cut Public Spending By 45%, Okebukola Advises Buhari

Must Read

Telling And Accepting The Truth Is A Major Problem In Nigeria: Gov Zulum

Babagana Zulum, governor of Borno state, says telling the truth and accepting the truth has been a major problem...

APC Should Consider Changing Its Name, Not PDP: Ologbondiyan

Kola Ologbondiyan, the National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has expressed that it should be the...

BBOG Covener, Aisha Yesufu Blasts Femi Adesina (Video)

BBOG co-convener, Aisha Yesufu has blasted the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina...

Fani-Kayode Reacts To Court Ruling On Maryam Sanda

Former minister of aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has reacted to the court ruling ordering the execution by hanging of Maryam...

Biafra: Court Fixes New Date For Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has set March 31, 2020, for the resumption of the trial of...

okebukola

Former Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC), Professor Peter Okebukola has urged the Federal Government to implement the Stephen Oronsaye report as doing so could save the country N860 billion in two years. He specifically suggested that the president-elect Muhammadu Buhari reduce public spending by 45 percent.

Speaking during the 2013/2014 University of Lagos (UNILAG) Convocation Lecture, held Monday, at the UNILAG Main Auditorium, Okebukola decried bloated government’s recurrent expenditure.

“Data from the Bureau of Public Procurement, BPP, put costs of inflated contracts at about N569 billion at the Federal Level, N350 billion at the state and local governments level in seven years,” said Okebukola while delivering a lecture on ‘Taking Advantage of a Depressing Nigerian Economy to Accelerate Socio-Economic Development’

Instead of focusing on key issues for national benefit, he noted that governments are busy with foreign conferences and jamborees which cost the country N98 billion annually.

A report by the Oronsaye Committee set up by the federal government in 2012, to look into the measures for streamlining the operations of its various organs for efficient service delivery, suggested that the Federal Government should reduce the size of government to a manageable level, considering that over 70 per cent of government resources are currently channelled into running a government that is unduly large and cumbersome to manage, leaving the remaining, less than 30 percent, for issues such as debt servicing and execution of capital projects.

According to the report, reducing the size of government has become imperative given that a large government has inevitably led to stunted development and a very high level of poverty in the country.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -