Minister of State, Foreign Affairs II, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, has expressed optimism that citizens affected by the xenophobic attacks in South Africa will receive compensation.
Since the renewed attacks started last week, several Nigerians have lost their sources of livelihood and other belongings to fire set by locals on buildings where their businesses were located.
Senator Obanikoro, who spoke in an interview with Channels TV on Monday, said that the Nigerian High Commissioner, Martin Cobham, and other delegations, were taking stock of damages done to Nigerians to ensure that adequate compensation would be given to them.
“We have situations where some of our people lost their shops in this attack.
“We are taking stock of the damages done to them and we are going to be engaging the South African Government”, the minister explained.
He added that the South African Government had been exploring different avenues to end the attacks that have claimed several lives in KwaZulu-Natal province.
“One of the major stakeholders who incited the South African community has called for a meeting this morning where some representatives of the affected countries would be addressed.
“Some traditional rulers will be there to see how they can douse the situation and ensure the safety of Nigerians and other nationals in South Africa.
“This is a very shameful situation and it has attracted a lot of international outcry.
“I think the leaders have seen the need to ensure that the xenophobic attacks do not escalate.
“The attitude is now more promising and within the next few days we should be able to put this behind us.
“We are working on how best we can get a lasting solution to the problem”, Obanikoro said.