Nigerians Lose N21m To Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa

Xenophobia

Xenophobic attacks in South Africa has so far cost Nigerians living in the country more than N20 million, the Nigerian Consul-General in South Africa, Amb. Uche Ajulu-Okeke, said on Sunday.

Speaking from Johannesburg, South Africa, the ambassador broke the loss down into looted shops, burnt shops, two burnt mechanic workshops, 11 burnt cars and two stolen cars, among others.

“Nigerians have compiled damage to their property and it is totalling about 1.2 million Rand or N21 million, which will be sent to the Federal Government for further action,” she said.

Speaking further, the ambassador noted that in Durban, two of the three Nigerians who were wounded during attacks had been treated and discharged from the hospital.

“The Nigerian mission in South Africa is on top of the situation. We are working hard to protect Nigerians in South Africa.

“Though, the task has not been easy, we are trying our best. In one of the hot spots at Jeppe, near Johannesburg, the mission assisted about 50 stranded Nigerians to re-settle.

“I have also visited the site of the attacks in Johannesburg to assess the damage and it was enormous,” she said.

In the meantime, the ambassador said she would bring Nigerians in the country together to discuss the way forward.

“I am bringing all Nigerians together so that we work out a vigilance and alert mechanism; they will also tell me what their challenges and issues are,” she said.

Okeke said the mission and the Nigerian Union had been working cordially to meet the challenges caused by the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here