The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) has suspended Super Lig and domestic cup matches for one week following an attack on Fenerbahce team bus at the weekend.
Turkish champions Fenerbahce were traveling to Trabzon airport, following their 5-1 victory over Rizespor when a gunman opened fire on their bus.
The driver was taken to a hospital but none of the players sustained injury.
The TFF chairman, Yildirim Demiroren, announcing the decision after a meeting with the sport minister, Akif Cagatay Kilic, on Monday, said: “We believe the incident was a terrorist attack, targeting not only Fenerbahce but Turkish sports. We decided to postpone all league and cup games for a week.”
Kilic said the bus driver, named as Ufuk Kiran, was “recovering quickly”.
Fenerbahce had called for the league to be suspended, saying: “It’s unavoidable to suspend the league until this dark attack is enlightened.”
Away fans are banned from entering stadium venue of matches involving Fener and Trabzonspor and a game between the sides last season at the Avni Aker Stadium in Trabzon was abandoned after objects were thrown on to the pitch.
Fenerbahce’s Turkish Cup quarter-final against Mersin İdman Yurdu on Tuesday had already been moved following the incident.
The defending Super Lig champions trail leaders Galatasaray by two points in second place with eight matches left this season. They were due to play fourth-placed Bursapor next week’s Monday.