U.S. Donates $5bn MNJTF To Fight Boko Haram

Must Read

NECO Dismisses 19 Workers Over Certificate Forgery

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has dismissed 19 of its workers for forging their certificates.Their dismissal was approved by...

Metuh’s Lawyer Blows Hot, Vows To Appeal ‘Bad Judgement’ (Video)

Following the court ruling that sent Olisa Metuh, the former spokesman to the People's Democratic Party, to a 39-year...

Deontay Wilder Suspended For Six Weeks After Tyson Fury Defeat

American heavyweight boxer, Deontay Wilder has incurred six weeks of medical suspension following his brutal defeat to Tyson Fury.The...

Umahi Storms Army Headquarters, Demands For Reduced Road Blocks On S/East Roads

Ebonyi state governor, Dave Umahi has stormed the headquarters of the Nigerian Army where he met with the chief...

IGP Orders Investigation Of Tiamiyu Kazeem’s Death

The media space has been abuzz in the last 24 hours, following the tragic death of a footballer, Tiamiyu...
daniel
Ardent Reader, News Freak, Socio-Political Commentator, Archaeologist & Pro-Democrat.

Linda Thomas-GreenfieldThe United States says it has announced a $5 billion contribution to the Multinational Joint Task Force to boost the military operation against the Boko Haram insurgency.

The U.S. Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, announced this at a news briefing via telephone from the African Union Summit on Monday.

“We have been working with Nigeria as well as the African countries to address their concerns about Boko Haram because we don’t see this as just a Nigerian problem.

“We are having discussions with President Buhari on how we might bolster our support. We have already been working with them and providing information.

“We are providing some training and support and we’ll love to work with the new administration to see how we might increase the level of support to Nigeria.

“At the same time, we’ve just announced at the venue of the AU, $5 billion contribution to the Multinational Task Force.

“We are also providing some equipment and support and we have a number of meetings with the countries who are members of the Multinational Joint Task Force to look at other areas we might support”.

Mr. Thomas-Greenfield said that Africa had faced “some really horrendous terrorist attacks” over the past two years.

He listed the West Gate and Garissa University attacks in Kenya, and the Boko Haram attacks particularly, the kidnapping of the Chibok girls among others.

“While I would not say Africa is under siege, Africa has some major security challenges.

“That requires a very strong and very concerted strategic effort by African countries and partners to address the security concerns of Africa”.

She said the U.S. is providing a strong support to AU on security as the U.S. has a strong partnership with the continent on security.

“We are working closely with the Lake Chad Basin countries: Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Cameroon to address the issues of Boko Haram”, she said.

She said that U.S. had so far trained about 250,000 African peacekeepers, saying U.S. highest priority in Africa remained security.

The U.S. envoy expressed support to the warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court against Sudan President Omar Al-Bashir.

She said that the U.S. frowned at plans by some African leaders to subvert the constitution to extend their terms in office, saying U.S. supports two-term limit in office.

(NAN)

- Advertisement -
Ad ==> Discover how a young Nigerian graduate now makes a consistent 40k per week doing a legitimate online business. You too can start yours now, click here!!!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -