One Die As 1,500 Migrants Attempts To Enter Eurotunnel

3769e80f38254f7a8a3c735c287b47c3_18

At least one person has been found dead as about 1,500 migrants desperate to reach England made renewed attempts to enter the Eurotunnel terminal overnight in the French port town of Calais, a police source has told the AFP news agency.

“Our team found a corpse this morning and the firefighters have confirmed the death of this person,” added a spokesman for Eurotunnel on Wednesday. According to the France Info website, the man who died on Tuesday night was identified as being Sudanese and aged between 25 and 30. The website reported that he had been hit by a lorry.

On Monday, about 2,000 migrants had also tried to enter the terminal, causing serious delays to Eurotunnel train services. “It [Monday’s attempt] was the biggest incursion effort in the past month and a half,” said a spokesman for Eurotunnel, which is battling often deadly efforts by migrants to smuggle into Britain.

The migrants were trying to enter the site “between midnight and 6:00am”, the Eurotunnel spokesman said. “All our security personnel, that is nearly 200 people, as well as police were called in,” he added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here