Sad! 3-Month-Old Baby Goes Blind After Family Friend Did This To Him | Photo

A baby boy has been left blind in one eye after a family friend allegedly took a close-up photograph without turning off the flash.

482ae926c7d700c8f67ab0f426a2f490_L

According to Peoples Daily Online, the three-month-old baby, who has not been named suffered irreparable damage from the flash of the camera, which was held about 10 inches away from the baby boy. The parents were said to have noticed that there was something wrong with their baby’s vision soon after the photograph was taken.

DailyMailUK added that aside from the right eye that went blind, the baby also had a reduced vision in his left eye.The damage is said to be permanent and cannot be fixed with surgery. Experts say that the strong flash has damaged cells on the macula, which is the part of the eye where incoming light rays are focused.

Damage to the macula can lead to the loss of central vision, which allows people to see straight ahead. The macula is not fully developed until children are four, meaning youngsters are very sensitive to strong light. According to research, babies will shut their eyes when exposed to light on reflex, just milliseconds of strong light can cause permanent damage. It is not clear whether the family friend will face any legal action following the incident.

Source: TalkofNaija

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *