We Traced Boko Haram Bombers To Zaria, But… – El-Rufai

Nasir el-RufaiGovernor Nasiru el-Rufai of Kaduna State has revealed that security forces in the state detected the presence of the suicide bombers, who killed about 40 people in Zaria last week, through their tracking system.
Suspected female suicide bombers had attacked the Sabon Gari Local Government Area headquarters of Kaduna State on Tuesday killing 40 people, mostly teachers and civil servants undergoing the compulsory verification exercise ordered by the state government, and injuring many others.
According to el-Rufai, the telephone lines of the bombers, believed to be Boko Haram members, which were used in tracking them, were switched off in Zaria, making it impossible for the security forces to locate them.
He made the disclosure while delivering a talk at the Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Programme (TEEP) Boot Camp held at the Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State on Saturday.
El-Rufai explained that the explosion occurred seven hours after the bombers switched off their telephone devices.
He said, “We knew that the forces were coming to Kaduna State with a bomb and we were tracking them. They got to Zaria and switched off their sets and they could not be tracked any longer”.
Mr. El-Rufai, however, reiterated the role of the government in ensuring the security of lives and properties of the citizens, adding that the government should guarantee the rule of law and an enabling environment for entrepreneurs to thrive.
To provide sufficient protection for Nigerians, the Kaduna governor said the country needed twice the size of its current police force.
“We need twice the Police Force we currently have for effective protection. This is one of the things we need to provide and I can assure you that President Muhammadu Buhari is working on it”, El-Rufai assured.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here