Last year Save the Children’s programmes and campaigns touched the lives of more than 125 million children around the world.
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in almost 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. Across all of our work, we pursue several core values: accountability, ambition, collaboration, creativity and integrity.
The Program Manager provides programmatic support to SPRING/Nigeria towards accomplishing its country goals, objectives and targets. The Program Manager works in close collaboration with the SPRING Chief of Party, Head of Nutrition SCI, Senior Nutrition Adviser SCI, SPRING Nutrition Coordinators, and other SPRING/Nigeria country program and administrative staff.
Key Areas of Accountability
- In consultation with the SPRING/Nigeria Chief of Party, Head of Nutrition, Senior Nutrition Advisor, and other technical staff, executes strong program management skills to ensure success of the SPRING/Nigeria nutrition project.
- Ensures project is meeting targets and objectives and that all deliverables produced and implementation activities in the field are of high quality. Utilizes projection tools and instructs the project how to stay on target; keeps the CoP, Head of Nutrition, and Senior Nutrition Advisor informed on project progress.
- Supported by the CoP and Head of Nutrition, assists with planning and monitoring of activities as per the donor approved annual work-plan.
- Supported by the HoN and Awards Manager, responsible for budget management of the SCI SPRING budget; this includes, expenditure or advances approvals, timely submission of forecasts, budget monitoring and analysis.
- Contributes to the development of programmatic resource materials, including guidelines, training manuals, curricula and job aids, as necessary.
- Works with the CoP, Head of Nutrition, and Senior Nutrition Advisor on SPRING/Nigeria as an advocate and partner in key project activities, including participation at key forums and meetings, as needed.
Capacity Building for Project Staff
- Coaches the SPRING technical team on planning, adherence to approved workplans and analysis of achievements related to plans
- Strengthens capacities of the SPRING technical team on financial planning and forecasting
- Support the M&E specialist and SPRING team on data collection and analysis.
Program Operations Support
- Provides timely reports, documents, proposals, and updates to the CoP, Head of Nutrition and other SPRING staff as requested.
- Works to collect nutrition success stories from the field and ensures information is shared across all stakeholders.
- Reviews and refines documents/outputs produced by SPRING/Nigeria staff and consultants.
- Attend SPRING/Nigeria programme meetings and keep Head of Nutrition, Program Manager, and Senior Nutrition Advisor up to date.
Staff Management & Development
- Supervises and supports 8 Nutrition Coordinators in the implementing states and follows up on state activities to ensure that implementation is going on as per approved annual and monthly workplans and timelines.
- Provide support to staff and promote learning based on the nutrition project objectives and activities through strong leadership, mentoring and coaching of the SPRING NCs.
- Ensure that staff responsibilities are clearly defined and understood by ensuring all staff have a detailed, updated JD as well as performance objectives set against work plans and regularly monitored.
- Ensure effective involvement of staff in running the project to take on ownership of the project through a, participatory approach to planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and decision-making.
- Ensure that appropriate staffing levels are in place and provide regular support, supervision and implementation of other staff management processes including staff performance management.
- With support from the Head of Nutrition and HR ensure that staff training requirements are identified and staff are given every opportunity to increase their competencies, capacities and own personal development.
Save the Children Representation and Proposal Development
- Represent SPRING and Save the Children with external partners as required.
- Support planning for each FY and workplan development according to the donor’s priorities and identified needs.
- Support proposal development, including budgets, for funding both to maintain and expand Save the Children’s work and influence within the nutrition sector.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s child protection policies, comply strictly to security procedures and other staff policies.
Place of Work: The post will be based in Abuja, but will require approximately 50% time travelling in other States.