Selfie Trouble: Man May Lose Hand After Attempting To Take Selfie With A Rattlesnake

Must Read

We Will Not Negotiate With Bandits: Yahaya Bello

  Kogi state governor, Yahaya Bello says he will not negotiate with bandits as his administration would deal ruthlessly with...

Barcelona Survives Copa Del Rey Exit Scare

Antoine Griezmann brace ensured La Liga leaders, Barcelona qualified for the fourth round of the Spanish Copa Del Rey. The...

I Don’t Know Why UK Is Protecting Diezani: Magu

  Ibrahim Magu, acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), says the UK is protecting Diezani Alison-Madueke,...

Amotekun, A Vote Of No Confidence On Buhari: PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has expressed that the governors of South West have passed a vote of no...

Amotekun: Deji Adeyanju Declares Akeredolu Southwest Hero

Popular human rights activist, Deji Adeyanju has hailed the governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu on his commitment in...

Man-could-lose-hand-after-860x450_c

A Lake Elsinore man was bitten by a rattlesnake Monday as he picked it up and attempted to take a selfie. Alex Gomez, 36, spotted the four-foot rattler in a field by his family’s ranch on Cielito Drive, shortly before he made the potentially deadly mistake. “I’m shocked that he would have that thing around his neck,” Alex’s mother Deborah said. “It could’ve bit his neck, and that would have been it. That’s just being a fool.” Alex’s nephew, Ronnie, was with him when the snake was discovered, and says the reptile gave plenty of warning. CBS Local has more:

“It was really think and had ten rattles on it, it was rattling,” Ronnie said. “It was pretty mad.” Upon being bitten, Gomez, who is a father of three, was experiencing excruciating pain as he was taken to a local hospital. His hand swelled up and his body started to tingle. His neighbor, Byron Bonilla, called 9-1-1 immediately. While Gomez is being treated with anti-venom, his mother says he may lose his hand.

“His skin is already rotting away,” Deborah described. While Gomez’ family says the mistake was his decision to go near the snake, the issue of rattlesnakes has been immense in 2015, due to the drought and the heat. California Poison Control reports handling 800 rattlesnake bites per year, and one-to-two end up being fatal. Alex was bitten during peak rattlesnake bite season, which runs from April to October.

Gomez’ mother, meanwhile, says sharing his “embarrassing” story is the best way to teach her son a lesson she thought he already knew. “I told him the news people had been calling, and he said ‘Mom, you better not’, and I said ‘I’m going to’. I’m going to teach him a real good lesson when he gets home. No mercy for him.”

 

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -