eHealth Africa is focused on improving healthcare by creating effective ways to implement reliable health information management systems. We have developed eHealth and mHealth solutions that can be rapidly deployed to manage patient information, streamline clinical procedures, and provide data and analysis on health program outcomes.
The GIS Software Developer provides dedicated support to the GIS department’s development related project. S/he develops eHA’s WebGIS environment and build web and mobile apps based to support targeted workflows in the GIS Department and several projects and programs being supported by the GIS Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops mobile and web GIS applications to support internal and external projects at eHealth Africa.
- Supports the development of web services and data portals at eHealth Africa.
- Liaises with internal and external clients to perform proper requirement gathering.
- Collaborates with eHealth Africa’s Software development team to ensure adequate support for all GIS development needs
- Contributes to the development of OpenSource GIS applications, tools and capabilities at eHealth Africa.
- Maintains a collegial, collaborative and accesssible working style.
- Performs any other duties assigned by Management.
- Responsible for performing any other duty as assigned by management.
- May frequently travel between company worksites.
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, training classes and supervision.
- Adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
- Degree in Geographic Information Systems, Surveying and Geoinformatics, Geography, Computer Science, or Software Engineering.
- Minimum of 2 years GIS development experience.
- Experience in developing web and mobile GIS applications.
- Experience of working with PostgreSQL, Geoserver, MapServer.
- Experience working in a team environment with github (creating branches, merging branches, cherry picking commits, reverting commits, stashing, squash merging, tagging, etc.).
- Minimum 2 years working in software engineering team, experience with international teams a plus (ours is from all over the world).
- Familiarity with test driven development.
- Familiarity with best practices in coding and design including enterprise patterns.
- Cultural sensitivity, sound judgement, and strong interest in working in a demanding and intellectually challenging environment, with the organizational ability to handle multiple tasks around ambitious deadlines.
- International work experience is a plus.
- Ability to identify and promote best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and great attention to detail.
- Ability to work in collaboration with others on a project team and independently on tasks Must be able to work as a leader and member of a team and possess good problem solving skills.
- Good learning ability.
- Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment
- Experience of working with CartoDB Platform (CartoCSS, CartoDB.js) and Mapbox platform (mapbox.js), GeoExt, GeoWebCache, GDAL.
- Familiarity with Spatial ETL tools e.g. Safe FME Desktop and FME Server.
- Android development experience.
- Experience with document based databases (esp CouchDB, GeoCouch/CouchBase).
- DevOps capacity (full stack linux sysadmin skills) a big plus.
- A Postgraduate degree in Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems or GeoInformatics
Language/ Communication Skills
- English is the spoken and written language so English fluency is required.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Excellent writing ability, strong interpersonal, group facilitation and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and the general public.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Why work with us?
Life at ehealth Africa means collaborating with dedicated professionals with a passion for technology. When we see something that could be improved, we get to work inventing the solution. Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships. We invest in our people and offer a series of programs that enables them to pursue a career that fulfills their potential. Our team members’ health and wellness is our priority as well as rewarding them for their hard work.
Click here to apply